This tutorial shows how to convert an Adobe Illustrator file to a PDF document from multiple application interfaces and using the novaPDF printer driver as the PDF converter. If you do not have novaPDF installed, use our Download page to download and install it on your computer.
Adobe Illustrator is a vector graphic design application released and maintained by the Adobe Corporation and having similar functionality with Corel's version for the same market called Coreldraw. The drawings created with Adobe Illustrator have the AI file extension and can be also opened by external applications like Inkscape or ACD Canvas.
The format is mostly used in professional environments such as various media printing and logo making for example. The file type also has cross platform support so it can be also managed on Linux distros and Mac computers with appropriate programs. However due to the vector image technology used in the file type by Adobe any additional programs capable of opening it will most likely render the image as a raster one and transforming the vector data in a bitmap format.
However the proprietary nature of the file and the very few applications that can open it makes it very difficult to manage so having it in a compressed portable format such as PDF is a very good choice for file sharing, archiving and protection. Using novaPDF for conversion has additional features available for the users for further file processing like file merging, overlaying, bookmarking, file signing and more.
On this page:
Convert AI to PDF from Adobe Illustrator
To convert your AI file to a PDF document from the Adobe Illustrator application you need to make these steps:
- Browse for the file in the Adobe Illustrator by selecting File->Open or pressing Ctrl+O
- After making any other changes on the drawing, select File->Print or Ctrl+P and from the Printer dropdown list select novaPDF as the printer driver
- Click on Print and in the Save PDF File As dialog choose the file location and after save actions
- After pressing OK the PDF will be created.
Convert AI to PDF from CorelDRAW
These are the steps to make when converting the AI file to a PDF from CorelDRAW:
- Look for your file by clicking File-> Open or Ctrl+O in CorelDRAW and browsing for it on your computer
- Click on File->Print or Ctrl+P to open the Print window and from the Printer drop-down list select novaPDF
- Click on Print and after setting up the file path and other after save actions in the Save PDF File As select OK and your file will be
converted to PDF.
Convert AI to PDF from Inkscape
To convert your AI drawing to a PDF document you have to proceed in the
- Search for the file by clicking on File->Open or pressing Ctrl+O
- Click on File->Print or Ctrl+P and from the Select Printer list choose novaPDF
- Click on Print->OK and the file will be saved as PDF.