This tutorial shows how to convert a .mht file from any of the available supporting browsers (IE, Firefox, Word etc.)to a PDF document using the novaPDF printer driver. To download novaPDF, use the Download link to download and install it on your local computer.
On this page:
The MHT format is an alternative name and suffix for the MHTML documents (MIME HTML) which is an archive format for the web pages saved with internet explorer by default. The format can contain multiple resources like flash, java, images, audio etc. and external links all together with html code. The file is then encoded using the MIME type multipart. The MHTML format is however not standardized as many applications display and save the file differently. Also most of the web browsers have gave up in supporting the file and at this point only Internet Explorer and Firefox can still open and save it with or without additional addons installed.
Due to this situation, a format like the PDF one is welcome for anyone needing to further work with the mht files. The PDF documents can be opened, shared and enhanced easier and with the help of a PDF converter such as novaPDF additional actions can be performed on the file such as signatures, security setup, setting up logos on the file for copyrights with watermarking, bookmarking etc.
Convert mht to pdf from Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge is the “native” application to open and save MHT files as the format was introduces with the 5.5 version of IE. To be able to convert the MHT file to a PDF from IE make the following steps:
- Right-click on the mht file and select Open with Internet Explorer
- Press the Alt button to show IE's menu, then go to File->Print (or press Ctrl+P) and in the Select Printer section click on novaPDF
- In the Print window select novaPDF as the printer driver and click on Print
- Click on Print and choose a location where you want the PDF file saved. After the PDF is created it will be automatically opened in the default PDF viewer.
Convert mht to pdf from Firefox
In Firefox, after installing the mht addon, do the following to convert the mht to PDF:
- Open the browser then select File->Open File (Press the Alt keyboard button to show Firefox's menu) or press Ctrl+O to open the mht file for printing
- After opening the file press Ctrl+P or select File->Print to start the printing action
- In the Print window select novaPDF as the printer name
- Click on OK and choose a location where you want the PDF file saved.
Convert mht to pdf from Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word is one of the few applications other than web browsers that can open and save mht files. This is what you have to do to convert one:
- Open Microsoft Word then click on File->Open to browse for the file you want to convert
- Click the File->Print and from the Printer window select novaPDF as the printer name
- Click on Print then OK to convert the mht file to a PDF.