The following tutorial has been created to show how to convert an odt (Open Document Text) file format to a PDF using novaPDF along with the word processing tools with support for this specific file format. If you do not have novaPDF installed on your computer then you can use the Download link to download and install the printer driver.
On this page:
The ODT file extension stands for OpenDocument Text, a file created with the LibreOffice Writer (the Office's word processing utility). The LibreOffice suite is similar with the Microsoft one and a fork of the OpenOffice application which is no longer maintained and developed by the same team. The ODT file format can be opened and edited by any application that is compatible with LibreOffice or OpenOffice formats with more or less restrictions depending on the tools making the imports for that specific program. The format is based on the OASIS XML standard. Despite the open format orientation and the cross platform availability, the ODT format is still working on popularity and it is not yet deployed on a large scale as the docx format from MS Word is. The PDF document however has its own ISO standard for portability and archiving, making it an ideal electronic document to have for sharing and storing information. With the help of novaPDF the users can also enhance the documents further adding watermarks, signatures, bookmarks, overlays, merging them with other documents and more.
How to convert odt to pdf from AbiWord
To convert your odt file to a pdf from Abiword you need to take these steps:
- Open AbiWord and click on File, Open and browse for the file you want to convert to PDF.
- After opening the file, click on File->Print (or press Ctrl+P) and in the Printer window choose novaPDF from the printer dropdown list.
- Click on OK and the file will be converted to PDF.
How to convert odt to pdf from Corel WordPerfect
After you have opened the WordPerfect application take these steps for conversion:
- Search for the ODT file by clicking on File->Open (or Ctrl+O) and load it in the application
- Make additional modifications if needed and click on File then Print, select novaPDF in the Main tab from the printer list and click Print
- In the Save PDF File as window make any after save modifications and click OK. The conversion will start after
How to convert odt to pdf from LibreOffice Writer
Open LibreOffice Writer and do the following:
- Open the file you want to print by using either Ctrl+O combination or clicking File->Open.
- Use File->Print or press Ctrl+P to prepare the file for printing.
- In the Print window select novaPDF from the list.
- Click Print and the file will be converted to PDF.
How to convert odt to pdf from Lotus Notes
In the Lotus Notes Symphony follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl+O or click on the File -> Open options to open the file for conversion.
- Press Ctrl+P or click File-> Print to open the printing window.
- Choose novaPDF as the printer name.
- Click OK then OK again to start the conversion process.
How to convert odt to pdf from Microsoft Word
To be able to convert the ODT file to a PDF from MS Word follow on these steps:
- Browse for the file you want to print by pressing the Office Button then Open
- After you have opened the file, press the Office Button the Print and in the Print window select novaPDF as the printer name.
- Click OK and then OK again and the file will be converted to PDF.