The MHT format is an alternative name and suffix for the MHTML documents (MIME HTML) which is an archive format for the web pages saved with internet explorer by default. The format can contain multiple resources like flash, java, images, audio etc. and external links all together with html code. The file is then encoded using the MIME type multipart. The MHTML format is however not standardized as many applications display and save the file differently. Also most of the web browsers have gave up in supporting the file and at this point only Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera can still open and save it with or without additional addons installed.
Due to this situation, a format like the PDF one is welcome for anyone needing to further work with the mht files. The PDF documents can be opened, shared and enhanced easier and with the help of a PDF converter such as novaPDF additional actions can be performed on the file such as signatures, security setup, setting up logos on the file for copyrights with watermarking, bookmarking etc.
Convert mht to pdf from Internet Explorer
Internet explorer is the “native” application to open and save MHT files as the format was introduces with the 5.5 version of IE. To be able to convert the MHT file to a PDF from IE make the following steps:
- Right-click on the mht file and select Open with Internet Explorer
- Now click on Tools (the little wheel on the upper right corner) or press Alt+X and then click on Print->Print or press Ctrl+P
- In the Print window select novaPDF as the printer driver and click on Print
- In the Save PDF File As window setup after save actions if needed and click on OK. The file will be then converted to PDF.
Convert mht to pdf from Firefox
In Firefox, after installing the mht addon, do the following to convert the mht to PDF:
- Open the browser then select File->Open File or press Ctrl+O to open the mht file for printing
- After opening the file press Ctrl+P or select File->Print to start the printing action
- In the Print window select novaPDF as the printer name
- Click on OK then OK again after setting up after save actions if any and the conversion will begin.
Convert mht to pdf from Opera
Open Opera and take the following actions to convert the mht file to a PDF:
- Click on Menu->Page->Open or press Ctrl+O to open the file you want to convert
- Click Menu->Print->Print or press Ctrl+P to open the Print window
- Select novaPDF from the printers list and click Print
- After selecting after save actions click OK and the conversion will be made.
Convert mht to pdf from Microsoft Word
MS Word is one of the few applications other than web browsers that can open and save mht files. This is what you have to do to convert one:
- Open MS Word then click on Office Button->Open to browse for the file you want to convert
- Click the Office button->Print and from the Printer window select novaPDF as the printer name
- Click on OK then OK again and the printing will be completed.
- novaPDF Printer 1.x - 7.x
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Word