SolidWorks Office is a 3D CAD (Computer Aided Design) software application, developed by Dassault Systemes SolidWorks Corp. for Microsoft Windows platforms. Being SolidWorks proprietary formats, the slddrw, sldprt and sldasm file extensions have very few editors or viewers supporting them except the ones provided by SolidWorks and having the mentioned files in PDF format is an advantage regarding practicability, software support, protection and sharing. Also novaPDF’s particular features and enhancements make the conversion from the SolidWorks formats to PDF documents even more suitable for your needs. You can:
- Password-protect the PDF file automatically when converting to it with novaPDF if your SolidWorks file contains important or sensitive information. That way you can keep the document safe from unauthorized access and other users can only perform the actions you enable on the encryption options.
- Merge the file with other documents after converting it to PDF using novaPDF. As an example, if you need to add a presentation from PowerPoint for the SolidWorks drawing file, you can print the presentation using novaPDF to the PDF that contains the drawing and the PDF files will be automatically merged.
- Add automatically PDF watermarks (text and images) to your converted SolidWorks drawing.
- E-mail your converted drawing automatically with the novaPDF E-mail sending section without the need for using separate E-mail programs. To view a detailed tutorial on how to setup novaPDF to convert and send your documents, read Convert and send PDF via E-mail
- Add additional document information such as Title, Subject, Author and Keywords for a searchable PDF on the converted SolidWorks drawing
Using novaPDF to convert slddwr, sldprt and sldasm to PDF from SolidWorks Office
To convert slddwr, sldprt and sldasm files to PDF by using novaPDF with SolidWorks Office, you need to take the following steps:
- Open your SolidWorks application and go to Open or press Ctrl+O, browse for the drawing file you want to convert to PDF and click Open
- Make any additional changes to the drawing if needed, go to File->Print or press Ctrl+P and choose novaPDF from the Document Printer dropdown list.
- Before converting the file you can customize novaPDF’s settings by using the Properties button (for example adding document information, adding encryption to the document, adding watermarks or configuring the e-mail sending options).
- By accessing the Page Setup button you can set the Resolution and Scale for the converted drawing, choose a Drawing Color and set the Paper Size and Orientation
- In the Print window you also have the option to add Headers and/or Footers to the converted drawing or setup the number of copies to convert
- Click OK, choose a location where you want the PDF file saved, enable any additional options if they apply to the document (After save action or Merge with PDF file for example) and click OK again. The drawing will be converted to PDF and will have the features and options you selected for it.
Using novaPDF with SolidWorks Viewer to convert slddwr, sldprt and sldasm to PDF
SolidWorks Viewer is a free CAD Tool provided by Dassault Systems, allowing users to View and Print the native SolidWorks file formats (slddwr, sldprt and sldasm).
These are the steps for converting your SolidWorks specific files to PDF from the SolidWorks Viewer:
- Open your SolidWorks Viewer application, go to File->Open or press Ctrl+O, browse for the drawing you want converted to PDF and click Open
- Go to File->Print or press Ctrl+P and select novaPDF from the Document Printer dropdown list.
- Customize any specific novaPDF settings if needed by using the Properties button (for example adding document information, adding encryption to the document, adding watermarks or configuring the e-mail sending options)
- By accessing the Page Setup button you can:
- set a custom Resolution and Scale for the converted drawing
- choose a custom Drawing Color (Automatic, Black and white or Color / Gray scale)
- set a custom Paper Size and Orientation for printing
- In the Print window you can also set options such as adding Headers and/or Footers to the converted drawing or setup the number of copies to convert
- Click OK, choose a location where you want the PDF file saved, enable an After save action or a Merge with PDF file option if applicable and click OK again. The drawing will be converted to PDF and will contain the features and options selected for it
Using Solidworks eDrawings with novaPDF to convert slddwr, sldprt and sldasm to PDF
eDrawings Viewer is a free application from SolidWorks, allowing the users to view, print and review multiple types of drawing files. The difference between SolidWorks Viewer and eDrawings Viewer is that eDrawings supports additional file formats (AutoCAD files, eDrawing specific files, STL files, Pro/E files and more) aside from the specific SolidWorks ones for reading and printing.
This is how you can use novaPDF to convert SolidWorks specific files to PDF from eDrawings:
- Open your eDrawings application, go to File->Open or press Ctrl+O, browse for the drawing, part or assembly you want to convert to PDF and click Open
- Go to File->Print or press Ctrl+P, choose novaPDF from the Printer section and adjust novaPDF’s settings if needed by using the Properties button
- In the Print options section you can choose the number of copies to convert or a custom layout color
- Click OK and choose a location to save the PDF file
This tutorial shows how to convert the native SolidWorks file formats (slddwr, sldprt and sldasm) to PDF using novaPDF with SolidWorks Office, SolidWorks Viewer and eDrawings Viewer. It also highlights the advantages and features you can have by using novaPDF to convert your drawings. If you have suggestions on how to improve this article add a comment or rate it.
- novaPDF Printer 1.x - 7.x
- SolidWorks Office 2010
- SolidWorks Viewer 2012
- SolidWorks eDrawings 2012