AutoCAD is a CAD (Computer Aided Design) software application for 2D and 3D design and drafting, developed by Autodesk. Converting DWG to PDF is a practical way to share your drawings with other people, without them needing to install AutoCAD. By having novaPDF installed you can easily convert DWG to PDF documents by pressing the Plot/Print button and choosing novaPDF as the printer.
novaPDF has some particular features that make it suitable for converting DWG to PDF:
- PDF watermarks. You can add automatically a text/image watermark (copyright notice, logo, …) to your converted drawing.
- PDF security. If your drawing contains sensitive information, novaPDF lets you convert the DWG file to a password protected pdf. This way only recipients that know the password can view its content.
- PDF merge. You can convert your drawing to a PDF, and after that you can merge the PDF with other documents (for instance if you need to add a price quote from a Word document, you can print the Word document via novaPDF to the PDF that contains your drawing – they will be automatically merged).
- Email PDF automatically. After converting your drawing to a PDF using novaPDF, you can also email it to other users automatically without having to open separate e-mail programs. To view a detailed tutorial on how to setup novaPDF to convert and send your documents, read Convert and send PDF via E-mail
Convert DWG to PDF using AutoCAD
To convert your DWG file to PDF from AutoCAD:
- Open AutoCAD and click on the Autocad logo button then Open (or press Ctrl+O), browse for the dwg file you want to convert to PDF and click Open
- You can print to PDF either from the Model view (your working area) or by using a predefined Layout. Click on the Autocad logo then Print (or press Ctrl+P) and configure your printing options:
a. In the Plot Area select what you want to convert : Display, Window, Layout or Extents
b. Choose your paper type from the Paper size dropdown list and in the Plot Scale section select the scale of the printed drawing from the dropdown list
- From the Printer/plotter section select novaPDF
- Before converting the dwg file you can customize AutoCAD’s printing settings from the Properties button. To customize novaPDF’s printing settings, click on Properties->Custom Printing options from the Plot window
- Click on OK and choose a location where you want the PDF file saved
Convert DWG to PDF using Autodesk TrueView
DWG TrueView is a free application from Autodesk which allows users to view and plot AutoCAD DWG and DXF files, and to publish these same files to the DWF file format.
To convert your DWG file to a PDF:
- Open DWG TrueView and click on the TrueView logo then Open, browse for the file you want to convert to PDF and click Open
- You can print either from the Model view or by using a predefined Layout. Click the TrueView logo then Print and from the Plot-Model window configure your printing options:
a. Choose the Paper size from the dropdown list
b. In the Plot area select what you want to convert : Window, Layout, Extends or Display
c. In the Plot scale section choose the scale to use for printing the drawing
- Click on OK and choose a location to save the PDF file.
Convert DWG to PDF using SolidWorks eDrawings
eDrawings is a free software from SolidWorks, allowing users to view and print DWG, DXF aside the proprietary SolidWorks files.
To convert a DWG format to PDF using eDrawings:
- Click on the eDrawings logo then on Open (or press Ctrl+O), browse for the DWG file you want to convert to PDF, select it and click Open
- Click on the eDrawings logo then on the Print icon that shows under it (or press Ctrl+P) and from the Printer section choose novaPDF
- If needed, adjust novaPDF’s settings using the Properties button and set custom printing options.
- Click OK and select a location to save the PDF file
This tutorial shows how to convert DWG files to PDF documents using novaPDF with AutoCAD, Autodesk TrueView, SolidWorks eDrawings and Volo View. If you have suggestions on how to improve this article add a comment or rate it.
- novaPDF 1.x - 8.x
- AutoCAD 2009+
- Autodesk TrueView 2012+
- SolidWorks eDrawings 2012+